Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Monday, April 21, 2008

Teaching your 2nd grader Reading Comprehension

As I have stated, this is our first year homeschooling. It has been a wonderful challenge, and very rewarding. One of the toughest things, I found was teaching my 2nd grader Reading Comprehension. He is an excellent reader, both silently and aloud, but getting him to understand how to pick the main topic, was a challenge. I have tried several different techniques, none of which seemed to work very well. Then I found a tip on one of the free websites that I use, and it has helped tremendously. I think he is finally grasping the concept, and is even getting very good at picking the main topic of a story. He reads a regular child's reading book, from our library, every day then has to answer these 4 questions:

1. What is the title of the book?

2. Who is the Author of the book?

3. What is the most important thing that happened in the book?

4. Why do you think that?

If your elementary age child, is having a hard time grasping the Main Topic of stories, try this technique, it may help you too. Best wishes

No comments:

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!