Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Saturday, February 23, 2013

My Weight Loss Journey

OK, some of you might be saying, what does weight loss have to do with homeschool blogs? A lot actually. As my journey continues my children learn about good nutrition, proper portion sizing, control of impulse eating and importance of some kind of exercise. So, why the MS book? I have mentioned in the past that I felt I had MS. I am almost 100 percent certain I do, now. As I get older, and some of the symptoms, change or I get flare ups of the symptoms, I have to adjust to my activity schedule. Because MS is a disease that can be debilitating, it is very important to me that I stay active and keep as much strength and endurance as I can. Two school years ago, we began a walking regime, three times a week, nothing hard just getting out and walking. I lost 15 pounds that first year. Doesn't sound like much, but I believe in baby steps. I am not someone who wants to drop 50 pounds in six weeks. Since that time, I have added portion control, less carbs not no carbs, a more intense walking workout twice a week, and some yoga. Yoga is quite wonderful for stretching and relaxation. It helps control pain and anxiety. Yoga is not easy, however, and you have to ease into it. I have lost almost 40 pounds in two years. And while I am not at my goal yet, I will get there. Plus, my kids are training for their very first mile run race in July. This has been very good for all of us. Now if I could just convince my husband to be more active. I don't write this for pity, I don't believe in such things. I write it for knowledge and strength of my inner self. Plus, to hopefully help someone else struggling with a chronic illness. You don't have to beat the illness to live with it. You do however, have to be willing to change your lifestyle and choices, in order to avoid living at the doctor's office, or living on medicine.






3 comments:

betchai said...

thanks for sharing, Melissa, this is such an inspirational post, I would have to follow your example, I love what you shared, so simple, but it takes a lot of strength, to take control of our lives.

Reeni said...

That's great Melissa! Very inspiring as I'm about to start a walking regiment too.

Melissa said...

Thank you Betchai and Reeni. Good luck Reeni, I hope you have great success.

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!