Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Water Conservation and Why We Should Care About Water

Monday is our co-op day, and this Monday it was my turn to host. At Christmas I bought a 4H book for water conservation, for DJ. I did not know it was for group activities, not a single child. So, I decided our group would do the book as a group. It will only be on the Monday's that I host. The first activity in the book was a discussion about the Water Cycle and how much freshwater there is vs saltwater. The answer is 97% of the Earth's water is saltwater. 2% of the Earth's water is freshwater, but found in polar ice caps, so not readily usable. That leaves 1% of the freshwater that is actually usable by plants, animals and humans. We discussed why water is important, and why we should pay attention to how we use it. It was fun to watch and hear them learn how much water we really need and use/waste in our daily lives. Water Conservation is near and dear to my heart. If there was one thing that I could actually call a cause for myself, Water Conservation would definitely be it. They also did an activity where you stood in a circle and tossed a globe to each other. Then you had to record how many times your left thumb landed on water vs land. They were surprised that at least 75% of the time they landed on water. I can't wait for the next chapter.

Today, was a normal school day, and tomorrow is Painting class. The school year is wrapping up, and I am ready to relax.






2 comments:

Anne said...

It's amazing how so many parts of the world have difficulty accessing clean water. It's definitely something that needs to be conserved.

Melissa said...

I agree and I don't think people realize how important it really is.

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!