Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Marine Biology Dissection Lab

Today was dissection day. If you missed it, in my last post I shared free virtual dissection websites. We did a Clam, Star Fish, Perch, and a Crayfish. I was kind of disappointed with the Clam. It did not show as much organ detail as any of the images we found in either textbook or online. The Star Fish was cool, and by the time we got to the Perch, I had enough. DJ finished up the Perch and did the Crayfish too.

We laid parchment paper on the table, to protect it. The kit I shared did have gloves, but no mask or goggles. We had those, already. The smell was not that bad, but there was some smell. Everything was cleaned down with bleach after use. DJ was a little freaked out at first, but once he got going, it got a lot easier to do. I do have to say that I think it would be better to dissect something freshly deceased, rather than stored in Formaldehyde for however old they were. I think the organs, and other systems would be easier to see, and find, if it were freshly deceased.




No comments:

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!