Friday, April 30, 2010
Fun Friday: The Magnolia Tree
Today is Friday, that means it is Fun Friday, at my Blogging For Fun group. We have started a new eight Friday series on trees. They can pick any tree they want, as long as they don't do the same one twice. DJ, and I will be focusing on trees that grow in Florida. I am starting with the Magnolia Tree. We have three of these beautiful trees in our yard, and they smell, and look beautiful. The pics are ones that DJ took last year, when they were in bloom. Here are some facts about the Magnolia tree.
* Magnolia trees are named after French botanist Pierre Magnol.
* Magnolia trees can grow in Asia, N America, S America, C America, and the West Indies.
* There are actually many different species, and subspecies of the main Magnolia species.
* The bark of Magnolia trees has been used in natural medicines to help cure anxiety.
* The Magnolia flower is the state flower of both MS, and LA, and MS is the Magnolia State.
* The Giant Leopard Moth uses the Magnolia tree as food.