Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Teach Your Homeschool Child To Read

 One of the scariest things, for me, when I started to homeschool my youngest was I had to teach her to read.  I had no confidence that I would be able to do this.  Actually, it has gone very well and she loves to read now in the 4th grade.  We used Hooked on Phonics, in Kindergarten, and I loved it.  I also used the sight word/picture identification method.  I like this method more than just sounding the word out phonetically.  Seeing what the word looks like, and hearing what it sounds like, is so much more effective than just Phonics.  A friend of mine is just now teaching her daughter to read.  I found this very nice, Four Reading Methods, article and thought it was very much on point with good techniques and tips.  I also have to say, my kids learned very well in the younger years by playing games.  Both of them played online games a lot and it proved very effective.  Below are some free reading online games.  If you have a new learning reader Starfall is amazing.

 http://pbskids.org/games/reading/
http://www.primarygames.com/reading.php










No comments:

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!