Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Friday, August 27, 2010

Morning Routines

Since we will be starting back up with our homeschooling the day after Labor Day, I thought I would discuss routines. Well actually Caitlin has already started hers, because she wanted to. She can already tell you what a noun, and a verb are, and has almost all her sight words memorized. We don't do a full day of work, maybe a half hour or so.

So back to the topic. For those of you who homeschool, or even teach, or send your kids to public school do you follow a basic routine every day? For me I am a routine kind of person. It just seems to make my day flow nicer, than a fly by the seat of my pants routine. My husband is more of the fly by the seat of your pants person.

For this school year I have set up a morning routine, that we shall follow every morning at the start of lessons. Some of these we did last year, but I have added others. Our morning routine should not take us more than 15-20 minutes or it is too long.

1- Say the Pledge of Allegiance. I do this because I think it is important for them to learn it.
2- Just some simple stretching, and moving around to get the blood going.
3- Check the daily weather online and do the weather and month, and day calendar. This is actually a goal for Caitlin for the year, and this will work nicely into her learning it in a fun and simple way.
4- Review names and phone numbers of important people and places. You can make these anything you want. We do my husband's job, my job, Nonie's house, and of course our house, and 911. The only complete address I require them to know is their own, the others they just name the town.

I am looking forward to getting back to our homeschool routine. I miss it.

5 comments:

Anne said...

I think routine is really important and I would guess that it prepares the kids for learning. I think a routine is a good idea.

betchai said...

we have the same school year, our school starts after labor day too, and yes, routine and structure really helps a lot in teaching and helping kids learn

Melissa said...

I agree both of you, thanks.

Ebie said...

Yay, school will be back and traffic/commute will be backed up too!

It is very helpful if we follow a routine and you have done great with the kids homeschooling.

Love your new layout. The Orange State of Florida.

Melissa said...

Thank you Ms Ebie. Yes the traffic jams sound wonderful Not!

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!