Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Forced Participation!

First let me start by saying, I have been blogging, for about a year, and a half. I found Entrecard on Mylot, from another member. I love Entrecard, as you can see from the video below, it marketed as a electronic business card, but is basically a one to one traffic exchange, with extra benefits. This blog gets about 50% of its traffic from Entrecard, with the other half coming from search engines and other sources. This is much improved from almost 100% coming from Entrecard when I first started. So you can see Entrecard really does work, and is quite beneficial.

So why am I doing a post? Well one of the blogs I read every day, had mentioned that she had been refused advertising on a blog, because she never left any comments on that blog. I had mentioned before there is a big push, from some bloggers, at Entrecard to make Entrecard somehow force members to participate in blogs they view every day. So here are my thoughts.

I personally will not participate in anything that bullies you into leaving comments on any blogs. First of all it takes a number of hours to just drop your cards, each day. Imagine if you had to leave comments on every blog you visited to maintain your rank, or be allowed to purchase advertising space. It would literally take you all day to do such a thing. Two, there are many blogs I visit that do not even add new posts, so how can you leave a comment. Three, why would you want someone to leave a comment on a subject that they either have no knowledge of, or feel the post is just not something they want to comment on? Four, there are a ton of blogs that do not even post your comment, if you do not agree with their point of view. Why would you waste your time? Five it is a traffic exchange system, it works for most people, why all of a sudden all these extra demands?

If you drop on my blog, I will drop back. If you purchase advertising from me, I will approve it unless offensive to this blog. If you leave me a comment, I post it, unless you leave me penis enhancement or some other dumb comment not related to the post. If you refuse to post my comment, to your blog, I probably will no longer visit it, rude sorry. If you refuse me advertising, well I probably will not pay it any mind, there are tons of others who will. If Entrecard adds say a timer, for a certain amount of time that must be spent on each blog, to get credit much like other traffic exchanges, bravo. If Entrecard starts making demands that we have to leave comments on blogs, then I will drop on like 25 blogs, leave comments, and that will be it. I most definitely do not have time to leave comments on every blog I visit, advertise on, or that advertises on me. To try to enforce something like that is absurd, in my honest opinion.


10 comments:

betchai said...

I agree with you Melissa, how can we leave comments on all blogs we drop? Personally, I only leave comments where I can relate to a blog, and usually, these blogs I also have become a close association with because maybe we are on the same line of thoughts, so, it is easier for us to exchange comments, but if we leave comments in all blogs, frankly speaking, when I was very new to blogging, I thought I should leave comment to blogs I visited, and there were some blogs where writing comment would take me longer time than writing a post in my blog, since their content are so far out from my line of thoughts. Later, thankfully, I learned that I do not really have to do so. I leave comments as much as I can to blogs that I really frequently visit and find interest in.

A Lil Enchanted said...

Hi Melissa.. just wanted to agree with you on the EC comments... it takes me the better part of the day to drop 300 EC's and to comment on just the few blogs where I have something worthwhile to say.

I also wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your blog :)

A Lil Enchanted,
~LaShan~

Melissa said...

Thank you, to both of you.

Buggys said...

Nice blog and great post. I totally agree with your opinions here. How absurd, being forced to leave a comment? That would effectively crash the whole system and certainly the intent of Entrecard. I am so glad that I discovered Entrecard and it is making a world of difference to my blog. I'm hoping it remains substantially as is.

femmepower said...

You're right,Melissa.I can't even drop 300 EC's because I normally stop by to read posts.That eats up much time but I do it anyway.I leave comments only on posts that get my attention and interest.

Melissa said...

I simply do not see how it can be done, unless you have nothing else to do all day.

Sandy said...

I don't think from everything I've read anyone is trying to make people leave comments. It's just that most people wonder why people don't reciprocate. Like you I drop on those who drop on me. I almost always visit, read, and comment on someone who's purchased my ad, as a way of saying thank you. I always reciprocate comments, because that seems appropriate and mannerly to return the kindness/favor. You are right, it is not possible to comment on all you drop on. Heck I only manage to hit my 300 a couple of times a week with drops, though perhaps that's because I do often leave a comment. It's very rare of me to take time to read and then not comment. To my way of thinking it seems silly to take 5 minutes to read, but not a few seconds to leave a comment so the person actually knows you were there to read. It's the interaction of the back and forth comments I find the most fun and rewarding.

I've only read a few pretty snarky comments about people expecting too much. It will be interesting to see how things change or progress under new management and ownership. If though they do institute some timing thing, no doubt the 300 drops will go by the wayside.

Have a great wkend.
Sandy
welcome mats always out, swing by for a visit.

LizzyT said...

I only get time in a day to drop on about 100 blogs, sometimes not even that. If I see a post that interests me I will read it and I will sometimes leave a comment. I don't want to spend all day in front of the computer and on Entrecard.

maricar said...

Hi Melissa!

i would like to thank you for leaving comments in my entries in Salitype, i am new here in blogger and this informations are really helpful for newbies like me, thanks for sharing :)

Maricar

Melissa said...

I am curious to see how Entrecard will progress, esp under new management.

Maricar thank you for visiting, and please come back again soon.

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!