Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Why I Homeschool

Each Wednesday, Miss Moe, has challenged me to write about why I chose to homeschool. Of course there are so many reasons, why I chose this path, but one of them is because I find society to be so judgemental. Everyone it seems finds the need to judge others for their looks, clothes, religion beliefs or lack of, finances, sexuality, morals or rules they live by, etc. These are all things I do not want my children to do. I may not agree with the way someone else lives or does things, but it is not my place to judge them. I would still be kind, compassionate, and caring to anyone. The only exception would be if you somehow earned my distrust. I don't want my children to learn to be cruel and unkind to others because someone else says they should be, or says that person is living in a way that is wrong. I do not know one person who is perfect, or has lived a life of pure innocence free of sin. Even as a homeschooler we face judgement from other homeschoolers. If you don't teach from a religious point of view, are not conservative enough, or you speak your mind in a bold manner, you may be shunned. I think it is a shame that homeschoolers, which is not an easy task to uptake, are forced to deal with judgement from other homeschoolers. It makes me sad to think about it.








7 comments:

betchai said...

your post is very touchy, Melissa. I admire you for the hard path you chose, it is not easy to homeschool, but I admire you for sacrificing part of your time to be Caitlin's and DJ's teacher, I believe you are one great teacher, and I almost tearful here for the way you are raising them, that is very important I believe, to raise them with kindness and compassion for others and not judgmental. Somehow, as a high school teacher now in one of the inner city schools here, I have experienced so much disrespect from my students, I sometimes feel like crying and if it is worth it to fight my dream for them, but then, when I attend meetings sometimes, I hear so much disrespectful banterings from professionals already, I said to myself, "do my kids or students get this kind of modeling? can I take it as an excuse that some of my students do not show the ettiquette or respectability because they did not get enough models, from their homes, in their community, and even in their school?" I am very happy for your kids, they get your education and training. I wish you very well.

MissMOE said...

Melissa, I look forward to reading your Why I Homeschool post each week. Wow, this is an awesome reason to homeschool. And you are right that judgement happens in all realms. Actively teaching our kids to love and not judge is so important, but hard--for we must judge in order for our children to learn not to judge.

Andrea said...

I absolutely understand where you are coming from. The good thing is, at least in my homeschool community, the judemental families are far and few in between.I am very blessed to have a child that never judges others, probably because he has been judged his whole life and he doesn't want others to feel bad about themselves. We need to stink together and support one another:-)

Melissa said...

Betchai, you are very kind and caring yourself. Though I have never met you in person, you can just tell. Your students are blessed to have a teacher like you.

Miss Moe, thank you. I think having an opinion and judging others is very often confused as one in the same thing.

Andrea, I personally do not worry about people judging me, but it bothers me when people judge my children before they even get a chance to know them. All for something they don't like about mom. These things bother me. We have a small homeschool group that I founded, and we are nonjudgmental to anyone who cares to join. You are lucky to have a supportive homeschool group too, and yes we need to be supportive of each other.

MissMOE said...

Melissa, I totally meant to put that we must not be judgemental ourselves as parents in order to teach our kids not to judge. ;)

Veronica Lee said...

I admire you too for taking this path. You did good! You're a wonderful teacher and mom.

Blessings to you, sweet lady!

Melissa said...

Miss Moe I thought maybe the wording was not what you really meant. Veronica Lee, thank you so much. You are so sweet.

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!