Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Learning With Lapbooks and Learning Centers

If your child attends public school you are probably already familiar with learning centers. They are centers set up with a goal oriented lesson, and all the activities that would accompany that topic. I think they are great and Evan Moor sells some very nice ones. However, I don't have room to have all the learning centers I would need to have in one school year.

That brings me to lapbooks. Now I have never made one of these, but I really like them. We will be trying one of these for Caitlin next year, for animals. To me they are kind of like a themed unit study that you put together in a book format, that your child can read over numerous times to learn the material needed to understand the topic. A big part of first grade centers around dinosaurs, and several different types of animals. At the bottom of this blog you will find a website that is dedicated completely to dinosaurs for kids. You can use it as you need to help with a dinosaur lapbook. Here are some websites I found that give you ideas how to make lapbooks, and the supplies you would need for different topics.

http://www.lapbooklessons.com/FreeLapbooks.html
http://www.squidoo.com/lapbooking
http://www.homeschoolhelperonline.com/lapbooks.htm

If you use lapbooks, or learning centers drop me a comment of which ones you like, or don't like.

No comments:

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!