Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday Recipes For Anne, Picky Eaters

My blogging buddy Anne, over at Small Town Mommy is looking for some interesting recipes, for dinner with friends. She also was talking about getting her fussy girls, to eat different foods. She has the attitude eat it, or starve. I must say I do too, well sort of, maybe not so much. When my kids were real little, I kind of made our meals to rotate around what they would eat. Why would I do that? Because one I found they do not sleep well, if they are hungry, and two they get sick faster, and longer, if they do not eat. So I kind of catered to their likes, and dislikes. Now that they are older, not so much catering. I do try to make things they like, I mean my husband gets to eat what he likes, and so do I, so I try to be flexible for all of us. This is not always easy, especially when it comes to those pesky vegetables. My kids drank V8 Splash, twice a day, for what seemed like forever. They simply would not eat vegetables. They still got all they needed, and made dinner so much easier. I also would put regular v8 juice in tomato sauce, tomato soup, just a little bit in regular juice, and they never even knew they were getting their veggies, neither did my husband, who is also not a huge veggie eater. You can put it in any kind of sauce, just a little, and no one will be the wiser. Giving them raw veggies, rather than cooked, is also popular. They like to dip it in ranch dressing, which you can use low fat sour cream to make, and they are getting their veggies. My son likes fresh green beans, more than canned, or frozen, so I try to get those when I can. I also find if I let them help plan, and make the meal, they get interested in what they are eating. Now obviously this is limited at their ages, but if they get some input, that is a big deal to them. The last thing I do to bribe them to eat healthy, is offer some kind of a snack for after the meal. For my kids it is a popsicle, or cookie, something they like. If they clean their plate, or most of it, they get the snack, if not they don't simple. It is amazing what a little popsicle can do LOL.

These are the two recipes I chose for Anne, to check out for her dinner guests.

Walnut Crusted Chicken Cutlets:

1/2 c bread crumbs
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
salt and pepper
1/2 c walnuts toasted and cooled
1/4 c fresh parsley leaves
1 lg egg white
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 1/2 pounds thinly sliced chicken cutlets

Preheat oven to 450, place rack in 15 1/2 by 10 1/2 jelly roll pan, spray pan, and rack with cooking spray. On large dinner plate combine bread crumbs, red pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper. In food processor with knife blade attached, blend walnuts, and parsley until nuts are finely chopped, then toss with the bread crumb mixture. In pie plate, whisk egg white, and dijon until mixed well. One at a time dip the chicken on each side into the egg mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture coating well. Press firmly so the mixture adheres. Arrange chicken on rack in jelly roll pan, lightly coat with cooking spray. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until topping golden brown, and chicken is no longer pink.

Spinach and Strawberry Salad:

1 lb strawberries hulled and sliced
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp honey
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1 container baby spinach
3/4 c walnuts toasted, and coarsely chopped

In blender puree 3/4 c strawberries, with lime juice, honey, oil, salt, and pepper. Transfer dressing to large serving bowl. To bowl, with dressing, add spinach, and remaining strawberries. Toss to coat, sprinkle with walnuts to serve.

5 comments:

Anne said...

Thank you for sharing these recipes. They sound delicious! I would especially like to try the chicken.

Femmepower said...

I'm gonna try the chicken cutlets,melissa. thanks for sharing this.I'm still not feeling well but coping.=)

betchai said...

oh, must try your spinach and strawberry salad Melissa, l love the dressing.

Melissa said...

Anne let me know if you liked it, I have not tried it yet.

Rochelle, glad you are feeling better, try to salad it is full of antioxidants to help you get better fast.

Betchai, I don't like strawberries whole, but as a dressing it is superb

vickie said...

Delicious sounding recipes! TFS!!

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!