Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Painting With Friends and Saxon Math

I have had our basic curriculum's for next year printed out for some time. This week I spent a great deal of time going through books that we already have, and that were given to us, to be sure we had everything we needed. Then I go through all those books and websites I found, to narrow it down to the actual lessons I want to use. This is a very time consuming process, but it is worth it in the end, because I am literally deciding what they learn. They get to decide some of it as well. Since we do some unschooling, DJ has chosen Marine Biology as his main focus for Science class. If you are unfamiliar with unschooling, it is the art of teaching via what your child loves. Since you can see math books below, you will know that unschooling completely is not for me. My kids would never pick Math if given the option. DJ really likes Saxon Math. After trying several different products, this one works for him. If you find something your child likes, stick with it, even if you don't care for it. Caitlin will also be using Saxon for 3rd grade. She used it some in second grade, but now that she is reading pretty independently she needs to focus much more attention on Math. She is already doing flash cards this Summer for addition, subtraction, and money. I will share the rest of the books we will be using in later posts.

Today we had a playdate of sorts, where our play group friends came over for some painting and fun. We had lunch and then everyone painted something. I will have to get pictures to share. I forgot to take any. Since we painted some on ornaments, I still have them here so they can be treated. So I can still get pictures.






No comments:

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!