Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Friday, December 18, 2009

Fun Friday The Letter K: Kids and Kyanite



Today is Friday, and that means it is Fun Friday time. We at our Blogging For Fun group, are working on an A-Z meme, and we are up to the letter K. Of course I had to include kids in there. What would discussion about the letter K be without kids? Caitlin did not really care to sit still, so it was hard to get one, that was not a little blurry.

Some of you read my jewelry blog as well, and know that I collect gemstones, and make jewelry. The piece shown is mine, but I did not make it. Kyanite is a gemstone that must be set with great care, as it is extremely easy to crack, and break. I have never been brave enough to try, and set one myself. A loose Kyanite gemstone, in good quality, is expensive, and not worth the risk. Besides I loved this ring. Kyanite can range from a blueberry blue color, to a purplish blue color, and sometimes with light blue streaks, usually found in the cabachon form. This is the only piece of Kyanite I own, so it is very special to me. It is in silver, and is surrounded by brown, and white zircon, which of course makes it more affordable than using diamonds. Kyanite can look like Tanzanite, Iolite, and top color blue Sapphire. It is very often included, and finding clean gemstones can take a long time. It has a hardness ranging from 4-7 depending on the way it has been cut, and faceted. Great care must be taken when wearing it, as it is prone to dings, and chips. Earrings, and pendants are more recommended than a ring, for this reason, especially in pricier pieces. It is actually one of the more rare, and exotic gemstones in the market today. The finest faceted Kyanite, comes from Nepal.

5 comments:

Femmepower said...

Your kids are so cute, Melissa. Hmmm,seems to me that Caitlin has grown so fast.By the way, it's my first time to hear about the gemstone Kyanite.I'm now 100% convinced that I know nothing about gemstones even though I love jewelry.I'm so limited to wearing silver and gold but I'd love to try something more colorful next time.

Tes said...

Your tree is beautifully decorated, Mel! Your kids have the loveliest smile! Beautiful Gem!

Melissa said...

Rochelle, and Tes, thank you so much. Caitlin is getting tall fast, and DJ is almost as tall as me. Not that, that is hard LOL. Kyanite one of my all time favorite gemstones.

Ebie said...

My first time to see this gemstone. I had to enlarge it to see the beauty. Love the brownish part with a tint of black. The center stone is so huge! Well, definitely I cannot wear this delicate ring, I am so hyper active.
Your kids are all so grown up. Even mine, she is taller than me.

Am still under the weather.

Hapy Holdidays!

Melissa said...

The black around the stones is actually black rhodium, used to enhance the beauty of the stones. I hope you feel better very soon.

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!