Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Social Saturday Helping The Needy

Well I didn't get any papers graded, LOL! I did get a whole bunch of other stuff done though. One of the things I would love for my children to learn is to be thankful for what you have, and to help others who are not as fortunate. My husband has recently joined the volunteer fire department, and is currently working his way through the fire classes. This is such a great example he is setting for our children. It takes a lot to volunteer your free time to help others who need it, even when they are not always grateful, or even kind to you. Some of you probably know that I make jewelry with gemstones I have been collecting. You might even notice the big banner at the top of my blog. 10% off all my Etsy store sales, through December 31, will be donated to the Hunger Site. So far I have been able to make sales and have five dollars to donate. Not bad, but it could be better. I am not trying to plug my store, I have another blog for that lol, but it is one of the ways we have decided to help the needy. I try not to call them poor, because any of us could be needy for many different reasons and variables. You might also remember that each year at Thanksgiving we donate food to the local food bank, which is a church here. This year, and for the next year too, we have decided to purchase a little bit of extra nonperishable items and add them to a box. Once the box is filled it will be delivered to the food bank. After all people are not just hungry at the holidays. I can not take credit for this idea. DJ read something similar in a magazine and suggested we do it. So we are. I did notice one thing. I was going to put peanut butter in there. It is healthy and lasts a good long time. But, most food banks don't want peanut butter because so many people are allergic to peanuts. So keep that in mind if you decide to join in too. It would be great if some of my readers joined. Plus every year we give toys to children who do not have as much. Usually I would give to Toys for Tots, and I do usually still put one item in their collection box, but since my husband started working at the prison we have been donating to children through a program that they sponsor. Now until the beginning of December I add an extra toy, CD or other item to my grocery shopping days to donate to this program. By doing just a little bit at a time, I don't feel overwhelmed by doing it all at once. Oh, by the way Walmart is bringing back layaway for Christmas. It doesn't start until October 17 and you can only put on Toys or Electronics, and yes I will be using it. Kmart also offers a layaway service, unfortunately we are not close to one. I also offer a layaway service in my Etsy store, and have had a few people that have used it, and they loved it.


2 comments:

Anne said...

Those are some great ideas. I am trying to teach my children about helping others. My older daughter and I have joined National Charity League which requires volunteer service throughout the year. So far, we have done some great programs.

Melissa said...

I will look that sight up and see if they have that program near us. Thanks!

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!