Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Make Your Own Clay Dough Chrismtas Ornaments to Paint and Decorate

Obviously the two little girls I did this project with did not have a care in the world that it is Christmas time. They chose a heart, a dolphin and a rabbit to make into an ornament. I will post the ingredients below to make these. I want to give you a few pointers first. First off they do not come out white. Ours looked more like a sugar cookie color. So, I painted them white. Also, because I wanted them to dry faster, I put them in a toaster oven on low for two hours. They did not dry in that time, and the dough was cracking. So, I let them dry the rest of the way on the counter at room temp. It did take about two days for them to fully dry. They are very hard, but of course could break if dropped. I sanded them for the girls to see if I could smooth them out a little, and then painted them white, and added two layers of Modge Podge. Also, the beads are not a good idea, or glitter. Most of the beads did not stay in place, I had to glue them back in. If you want glitter add them after while the modge podge is still wet. It worked much better that way. Also, make them thick, not thin. You won't get as many ornaments, but they don't crack as easy, and they are way more sturdy. I have two more dolphins, a heart, and an oval that my daughter and I will be painting and depending on how they come out, offering them in my Ebay store. A fun and affordable project, no matter which way you look at it. To make the dough use 1 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup corn starch, and 3/4 cup of hot water. Mix in a pan on the stove until it starts to boil and pull away from the sides. Believe me you will know when to stop stirring and it is ready. I let it cool quite a bit before using.




No comments:

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!