Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Thursday, January 17, 2019

My Feelings About Aleks for High School Math

DJ used Aleks last year for Math for College Readiness, through FLVS.  He loved it, and said for the first time in his life he kind of liked Math.  That was a huge success for him, and he did quite well.  He is now in college, so this isn't really about him.

It is about my other child.  She is not a fan of Math either.  She did awesome on Pre-Algebra on Edx, and the setup is similar to Aleks, but it was free.  I then moved her on to Algebra 1 with Saxon, because I like Saxon, I understand Saxon.  It is the same textbook I used in high school.  Anyway it was not working for her.  She seemed to not even remember the most basic of Math rules that she had already learned.  Needless to say it was frustrating for both of us.  Since she is not registered with FLVS, and I did not want to take the time to wait until she was, I turned to Aleks the paid version. While it is 20 dollars a month, kind of expensive, right away she was able to master more than half of the required assignments for the first module.  That is huge considering using the textbook she just had brain fart after brain fart.  I don't understand completely why she couldn't do it in a textbook, and at this point I don't care.  I need her to know Math.  She doesn't need to be a Math major but she needs to know Math.  So for now we are sticking with Aleks.  If it continues to work for her, I will use it right until she graduates.  I am hopeful this will be the case.  They have tons of options too, probably more than I needed to think about, but for some people they like that. 

This is not a paid post, I don't really do those too much anymore.  This is my opinion on a product I like.  

No comments:

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!